Immediate Server Shutdown - 3PM EDT 7/11/15 | Veterancraft Dedicated Server | Forum

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS dirt
Immediate Server Shutdown - 3PM EDT 7/11/15
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 11, 2015
1:03 pm
frelling
Senior Tech
Forum Posts: 3232
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A serious security flaw has been discovered that requires the immediate update of our servers. This is an operating system flaw; not a Minecraft bug. Minecraft servers and clients are still safe; though that should not be an indication that they are void of any "undocumented features."

The flaw was discovered during the course of investigating suspicious network behavior. Fortunately, our IDS was ever-vigilant and prevented system access by the malicious user(s)/bot. It will take me about 60 minutes to update all servers and verify that the security patch is working as intended. It could be sooner.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experiences of others, are also remarkable for their disinclination to do so. - D. Adams
July 11, 2015
1:07 pm
AdmlAdama
Members
Forum Posts: 109

Good catch and thanks!

July 11, 2015
1:41 pm
PhilosopherPhil
Members
Forum Posts: 52

I just checked the map and it shows people are still on and the clock is still running. I'm not sure if this is a glitch or if some one has hacked all the accounts. Here's the screenshot of my desktop.

"If you don't know where you're going, then any road will do."
July 11, 2015
1:42 pm
PhilosopherPhil
Members
Forum Posts: 52

what-is-going-on.PNGImage Enlargeroops I submitted the post without the screenshot accidently

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
"If you don't know where you're going, then any road will do."
July 11, 2015
1:45 pm
MikeB1974

Ambassador

Members
Forum Posts: 72

sometimes it takes a few minutes for the dynmap to update itself. plus that shows me still on there and i know i'm not, i'm playing clash of clans while i wait for the server lol

July 11, 2015
1:46 pm
si1entSASQUATCH
Members
Forum Posts: 35

It's a glitch Phil, because it shows both you and me on the map.  I know that I'm not connected, and based on your post, I'm guessing that neither are you.

July 11, 2015
2:25 pm
frelling
Senior Tech
Forum Posts: 3232

And the servers are back up again. Had to spent a couple of minutes to do some clean up and verify configuration management. As stated earlier, nothing was compromised.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experiences of others, are also remarkable for their disinclination to do so. - D. Adams
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 117

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Emulated: 3206

ryanpitts: 1300

Dalferes: 746

Pherian: 660

Okarim: 590

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 1943

Moderators: 3

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 8

Forums: 45

Topics: 6215

Newest Members: Greogysealk, EROdonopay, DrongDib, BeverlyRot, SuzanneSak, Aisfelub, AbakbakoGex, ElyaLelia, Rebecajew, Mshertyuptex, Annated, JamesFlack, Rosejy, panlillita, Michaelelone, TheRealRedCakes, RedCakes, texpzofuncmasondpo, Rozeko, Jadoiretex

Moderators: terrorisly: 424, mudwog: 127, LightWarriorK: 2117

Administrators: meatbawllz: 2475, frelling: 3232