A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS dirt
My new PC!!!! (as of 2014)
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
November 18, 2013
5:12 pm
Caveman_Dave
Narnia
Members
Forum Posts: 30
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This Christmas, I will finally be getting a new PC to replace the piece of crap I am using right now. I will be building it myself, which seems a little bit daunting, but I feel like I can do it. If anyone is interested, here are my specs:

Case:: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus 
CPU:: AMD FX-6300 
CPU cooling:: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
GPU:: Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB (This bad boy is here to stay; 30 FPS on Crysis 3 Very High settings!)
Motherboard:: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 
RAM:: G.Skill Ripjaws Ares Series 1866 MHz 8 GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 
PSU:: Corsair CXM 500 Watt modular 
HDD:: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Optical drive:: some random drive from ASUS I only plan to use for installing an OS (Windows 7)
I will also be throwing in some cold cathodes and the odd LED fan here and there just for looks. 

If I do some hunting, I will be able to get this PC hardware for around 600USD, with a budget of 625USD. Anyone got any suggestions about what I can do with the extra $25 (keep in mind that I plan to do medium levels of gaming, video capture/editing/production, and music production on this rig) or about building a PC in general? I'd be very happy to receive even the slightest of tips :D

See you on the server!
November 18, 2013
7:58 pm
summertree
Texas
Members
Forum Posts: 112

Will you be happy with the onboard audio from the mobo?

Can you plug your current monitor into that video card without an adapter?

November 19, 2013
12:20 am
Zenzar84
Sweden - Skåne
Members

Staff Alumni
Forum Posts: 263

Todays onboard sound cards is decent enough and asus always comes with good quality as well, its good enough for gaming.

http://www.minecraftanonymous.com/assets/banners/banner_94.png [SSSS]
November 20, 2013
9:12 pm
Caveman_Dave
Narnia
Members

summertree said
Will you be happy with the onboard audio from the mobo?

Can you plug your current monitor into that video card without an adapter?

Yeah, I will be fine with onboard audio. I don't really care about sound cards (I can't tell the difference....) or expensive speakers.

And the GPU comes with a DVI to VGA adapter, so I can still use my 14" 1280x1024 monitor :P  

See you on the server!
November 23, 2013
7:41 pm
TSWG
Members
Forum Posts: 494

Can I make a suggestion?

Double the RAM, from 8 to 16gb, and you can downgrade your GPU a little, if you want.

Heres my rig.  Nothing has been upgraded since this time last year, when I bought it.  I bought a 250Gb SSD, but instead of losing the RAID5, I chose to put it into another computer (my old gaming rig with 8gb RAM)  ... Sadly, it almost runs faster than my computer now, haha.  Almost!

Image Enlarger

There are 3 steps one must take to profit in today's economy: 1.) Learn from lessons taught by others 2.) Don't give away everything you know.
November 23, 2013
11:22 pm
Caveman_Dave
Narnia
Members

TSWG said 
Double the RAM, from 8 to 16gb, and you can downgrade your GPU a little, if you want.

I would like nothing more than to double my RAM, but, unfortunately, my budget does not allow it. Even if I downgrade my GPU, which I most likely will do, I will not have the funds for more RAM. I honestly don't even know what I could do with so much RAM. I'm not really going to be using too many intensive programs. I also don't really care much for SSDs. I don't really find them worth the few seconds they spare on boot-ups and program initialization. If an SSD made toast and could spread apple butter on it, I might consider buying.

Thank you for your input :D

See you on the server!
November 25, 2013
5:38 pm
Zenzar84
Sweden - Skåne
Members

Staff Alumni
Forum Posts: 263

8gb is more then enough realy, and an SSD, sure they are fast but they do not live for long, as in the speed they run they will start to crash in the end, much faster then an regular HDD, unless your playing hardcore in turnaments there is realy no need to spend on an SSD :)

http://www.minecraftanonymous.com/assets/banners/banner_94.png [SSSS]
December 1, 2013
1:10 pm
Caveman_Dave
Narnia
Members

Zenzar84 said
8gb is more then enough realy, and an SSD, sure they are fast but they do not live for long, as in the speed they run they will start to crash in the end, much faster then an regular HDD, unless your playing hardcore in turnaments there is realy no need to spend on an SSD :)

My thoughts exactly (notice the lack of an SSD on my parts list)!

See you on the server!
December 23, 2013
9:25 pm
Caveman_Dave
Narnia
Members

Alright! I just built the thing and I can't wait to get Windows up and running so I can enjoy my handiwork.

Everything is recognized by the system (all the RAM, both drives I have, the GPU, the CPU), temperatures are stable so far, it has great cable management and airflow (it actually cools the room when I am in the BIOS tweaking things), and it looks pretty nice. I could not be happier with $625 and an hour or two with a screwdriver and a good friend (my hands are much too shaky to install a CPU or place the motherboard into the case where it is actually supposed to be). I hope to be back on the server soon and enjoying an FPS higher than my usual 6.

In case anyone cares, I did alter my part selection a little bit. I dropped the HDD down to 1TB because my dad said he would get me another 1TB drive (I only wanted 2TB to start off), which gave me some extra cash to upgrade my GPU and my PSU, both of which I found at $35 off with a $15 rebate. I changed my case to the Apevia X-Sniper 2, as it has more room inside, better cable management space, noise-cancelling drive rails, and a million other features that make it worth the $5 increase in price, not to mention dashing looks.

I am thinking about putting Win7 on one HDD and SteamOS on the other. Does anyone have any experience with SteamOS yet? If so, please leave feedback! I love Linux with all my heart, and this is the first instance where nearly every game available is compatible with a Linux-based OS, so it would be a shame to pass up such an amazing piece of software.

Next upgrade (hopefully): Ducky Shine 3 keyboard with blue LED backlighting and Cherry MX Brown switches.

See you on the server!
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 442

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Emulated: 3206

ryanpitts: 1300

Dalferes: 747

Pherian: 660

Okarim: 594

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 13425

Moderators: 3

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 8

Forums: 45

Topics: 6229

Newest Members: Valeriabum, avtomatipro, SVSlooks, CharlesHaure, megatat, DennisLuT, Leslieelome, contractorMoM, JacobAxoms, Davidexiny, wildaza16, Briandof, Hairhousen, PoqqprtheJedgt, gosdiplompro, ThomasJar, AllenfEr, Michailalkal, GrantApace, Pedroger

Moderators: terrorisly: 424, mudwog: 127, LightWarriorK: 2154

Administrators: meatbawllz: 2475, frelling: 3264