Once more we are staring at that Update Available screen wondering whether we should go for it or not. Fortunately, the upgrade is compatible with our 1.3.1 server, so please feel free to update.
For those of you that have been away for a couple of days, we had some fun doing mundane things like working with world files and a bit behind-the-scenes housecleaning:
- The Nether world files have been checked for correctness and cleaned up. There were a lot of older world formats and other plugin data lingering around that didn’t help keep things neat and tidy. Nether performance is much better now. Server CPU and memory usage is far better than before. There still is lag in the Nether, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is the client also. My local test server is a dual quad-core Xeon 3.2 GHz with 32 GB of memory sitting on a gigabyte network; yet there still is Nether lag. I did notice that changing to the default texture pack made it a bit better, but didn’t get rid of it completely. It remains a mystery for now, while we have more important fish to fry.
- I completed the pre-generation of Seraph’s Realm chunks this morning. Many thanks go out to those few in the early morning hours that bore the periodic lag spikes as chunks were being generated. I myself had flashbacks to some servers of the past where this performance was accepted as the norm.
- I also started a full render of the Vetronia map. All that can be explored has been explored and this will get rid of those scatters holes in the map.
- I have seeded many Vetronia villages with villagers. Please note that the operative word here is “many” and should not be construed as “all.” I will not seed any more. Furthermore, the type of villagers added was purely random, so don’t come asking me to change the type. Be happy that there are villagers in Vetronia at all.
- Given the lesser load on the CPU and memory, I will be opening up Seraph’s Realm on a trial basis later today. The world will be accessible from the Portal House in Vetropolis. Use the Emerald Portal. As with the Outer Reaches, Seraph’s Realm is an 8K x 8K world. Chunks are pre-generated, but the map is not. Go forth and explore. On the other end, you will find similar portals that will take you about 2000 block away from spawn in each compass direction. Please understand, this is on a trial basis. If the world impacts our server performance greatly it will be mothballed until we are on our dedicated server.
In regards to the move to our dedicated server, we are currently re-evaluating our migration strategy. Blunt honesty, the 1.3.1 upgrades took far more time away from the migration than expected. I am still shooting for something towards the end of August or early September. So all I can say is that we are close. Once we have firmed up our plans we will let you know.